Exciting news awaits fans of HBO’s acclaimed series „The Last Of Us“ as the eagerly awaited second season gears up for production, slated to commence next month. The recent buzz stems from the announcement of Kaitlyn Dever’s inclusion in the show, stepping into the role of Abby. This casting revelation has sparked immense anticipation and fervor among enthusiasts of this renowned video game franchise adaptation.
KEY FACTS The Last Of Us
- Kaitlyn Dever is all set to join the ensemble cast of “The Last Of Us” for its highly anticipated second season, taking on the role of Abby, a pivotal character in the video game “The Last Of Us Part II,” which is slated to serve as the primary source material for the upcoming season.
- In an interview with GQ Magazine, co-creators Neil Druckmann and Craig Mazin revealed that a single additional season wouldn’t suffice to cover the entirety of the “Part II” game. However, they haven’t disclosed the exact number of seasons planned for the show’s continuation.
- The second season is set to kick off production on February 12th and will be filmed in Vancouver. This schedule follows a delay due to the impact of strikes involving writers and actors.
- Despite earlier false rumors regarding a potential recasting, both Bella Ramsey and Pedro Pascal, the stars of the show’s first season, are confirmed to reprise their roles. The five-year time leap between the two “Last Of Us” video games hasn’t affected their return.
- HBO CEO Casey Bloys indicated that the second season is likely to hit screens in 2025, sharing the timeframe during a statement in November.
The inaugural season of “The Last Of Us” is an adaptation of the 2013 video game of the same title, which received widespread acclaim and achieved remarkable sales. With a Metacritic score of 95%, the game had surpassed 17 million copies sold by 2018. The show’s popularity notably contributed to the game’s resurgence in sales. Set two decades post a devastating fungal outbreak that devastated civilization, the game centers on Joel, portrayed by Pascal in the series, and Ellie, played by Ramsey. Joel takes on the task of smuggling Ellie, a 14-year-old girl, across the United States, navigating a world ravaged by hardship and danger.
The triumph of the initial game gave rise to a franchise. “The Last Of Us Part II” hit the shelves in 2020, followed by a revamped version of the original game, “The Last Of Us Part I,” boasting enhanced gameplay, which premiered in 2022. Beyond gaming, the franchise sparked a comic book series and anticipates the release of a board game in the near future.
Upon her debut in the “Last Of Us Part II” video game, Dever’s character Abby sparked considerable controversy. Despite the game’s critical acclaim, achieving a 93% score on Metacritic, the user score faced a targeted campaign of negative reviews, plummeting to 3.4/10 at its lowest point, largely due to the unfavorable reception of Abby. Criticism arose regarding Abby’s muscular physique, gameplay dynamics that unexpectedly shifted player control to Abby instead of Ellie for a significant portion of the game, and objections to Abby’s involvement in a character’s demise.
The backlash escalated to the extent of death threats against Abby’s voice actress, Laura Bailey, prompting Naughty Dog, the game developer, to condemn vehemently any form of harassment or threats directed at their team and cast. Despite the controversy surrounding Abby, Bailey’s portrayal earned her accolades, clinching Best Performance at the IGN Game Awards and Performer in a Leading Role at the BAFTA Game Awards.
“The Last Of Us” has garnered significant critical acclaim and numerous accolades. Its inaugural season boasts an impressive 96% score on Rotten Tomatoes, with critics concurring that it stands as „bingeworthy TV“ and ranks among the paramount video game adaptations.
During the Creative Arts Emmy Awards held on January 6th, the series emerged as the evening’s foremost victor, securing eight awards. Among these were guest acting recognitions for Nick Offerman and Storm Reid, along with accolades for technical achievements like visual effects and picture editing.
The anticipation continues as the series gears up to contend for additional honors at the upcoming Primetime Emmy Awards on January 15th. It vies for prestigious categories such as Outstanding Drama Series, with nominations for Lead Actor and Actress in a Drama Series for Pascal and Ramsey, respectively. While receiving nominations at the Golden Globes for Best Television Series — Drama and acting awards for Pascal and Ramsey, the show unfortunately did not secure wins in any of its categories.